Several generations later it was passed yet again to the Baron of Fabrezan, Charles Seigneuret, upon his marriage in 1657 to the last surviving member of the Corsier clan. The title of Baron of Cesseras was carried by male descendants of the Seigneuret family until 1792 when the French Revolution resulted in all the family’s possessions being confiscated and sold at auction.
If we fast-forward to the mid-1800s, the house near the base of Château Cesseras’ walls was acquired by the prosperous landowner and wine producer Marcel Malafosse who decided to make it his family home and centre of operations for his wine business.
Marcel began a massive rebuilding project adding another two levels and a multitude of rooms. This extensive upgrade not only created a veritable mansion including the castle-like façade on the main house and back wall – fashionable architectural features for the wealthy during the mid-to-late 19th century – but also horse stables, servants’ quarters, hayloft, large winery & cellars next door and even an expansive private park with a faux grotto entrance on the far side of the cellars.
Although the winery was parcelled off and sold separately some years ago, it is still operative and every year at harvest time, tractors busily haul trailer after trailer heaped with grapes into its portal and the old basket presses are started up to squeeze out the precious must (juice) to fill the dozen or so huge vats along one wall.
The main house, attached outbuildings, gated courtyard and back terrace have fortunately remained intact as a single property and constitute what Château Marcel is today. The street upon which it stands is now named Rue Marcel Malafosse in honour of the man who once served as the community’s mayor and was one of its most beloved and respected citizens of the period.